Hostility re: Therapy

Hostility re: Therapy

Postby roadie » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:13 pm

I recently immigrated to the US from Australia, put my career on hold, got married & moved house twice in the space of a few months. Adjusting to a new life was hard, so I began therapy. It helped a lot.

At first my husband was supportive of this, but now (4 months later), he seems to view it with nothing more than thinly vieled hostility.

We've been married for 6 months but spend too much time either not talking, fighting or pretending that things are fine (when they are not). I do not know how things went from being so right, to so wrong so quickly.

I've heard bad things about 'couples therapy', but perhaps we should try it - I love him with all my heart and I want this marriage to work. I just don't know how to go about it.

I'd very much appreciate feedback on whether it has worked for anyone on the forum. Thank you fellas for letting me ask my question on your forum :)

cheers.
roadie
roadie

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 am

Hi. I saw what you'd written while searching for replies to my submission. As a man, I've found counseling together with my wife to be very frustrating. I'm not sure if that's what you mean my couple therapy. You may be talking about the same thing I'm looking for to deal with my problem. I'm refering to a situation where another couple who is successful can give practical solutions to help solve you problems. I think that would be very beneficial. I would give you some advice that may or may not be sound, but it comes from a man who is experiencing this now and your husband may feel the same way. What I'm refering to is a separation. My wife decided some time ago that we shouldn't live together and it was very devastating to me. She states that she loves me, but I took her decision as a rejection. In my opinion a couple should work things out together while staying together. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Good luck and try to understand what your husband is going through too. If you still love one another tell one another and do things in a loving way.
Dan

Return to Therapy