Does it work?

Does it work?

Postby rogersje » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:18 pm

My wife and I were in marriage therapy for about 5 years, both as couples and separately with the same therapist. While he was able to help me personally, the marriage did not seem to improve. This past July my wife asked for a divorce and we now are moving through the process.

I am curious as to how the forum members can tell if they are really gaining anything from counseling. How do you know the counseling is any good? I would prefer not to wait to see if the final determination is divorce to judge effectiveness.
rogersje

Postby Flyboy466 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 pm

I've never been to counseling but now my wife wants it. Thank God I read the book first...

I do, however, know two couples who have been to it. One ended up divorced. The other has been at it for 10 years on and off, and is no further ahead.

Admittedly this is a very small sample size so the information is anecdotal, but it does nothing to convince me of the value of therapy!

Frankly, I think it's a scam. If you charged by the hour with no need to guarantee your workmanship, you'd make the couple drag it out too!
Flyboy466

Return to Therapy