Holidays

Holidays

Postby Trap_me_forever » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Holidays can be a really tough times for realtionships. I'm sure we all know this! Well, X-mas is here and I am looking for advice on how to handle a "scrooge-y" guy. He feels this holiday is crap.

#1-He is not into religion, so having good spiritual thoughts are out
#2-He feels that all the components of family and giving and celebrations are ways to get people to spend money and get aggravated.

I feel that it is a combo. Last X-mas was good. He was quiet about his feelings toward the decorations and shopping and such. So no real discussion took place. This year I have ended up alittle sad about compromising on a tree. I always pay for it (it is my house) but I wanted to encourage him about being a part of the festivities. So I made sure we went on a warmish day after the Eagles game-no time pressure-and tried to pick as quick as possible. He complained last year I took too long, it was freezing, etc.... Well I usually get a 8 footer. We now have a 6 footer. It looks small. I didn't realize how bad it would look till I put it up while he got ready for work. He also admitted it was small, but then went on to say how he hates the holiday. I love the holiday! All of them! I do all the decorating, stocking stuffing, dinner making, all the stuff. He does not have to do anything but get a gift. I make him a stocking & fill my own.
I get him great gifts (Flyers tickets, computer stuff, shirts, etc..) I have a dinner on X-mas so we can chill most of the morning and I do the dishes alone afterwards. I feel holidays should be MAGIC. He thinks they are stupid. Men what can I do????? I am putting beer in his stocking this year for a start (and his fav candy which I did last year). How can you help a man to at least like the holiday?
Trap_me_forever

Postby clueful » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 am

Trying to get someone to like something that they don't is torture for you and him, so it just makes you both unhappy.

Imagine an activity you absolutely loathe, now imagine your guy trying to get you into it no matter how many times you tell him no I don't like that.

Break tradition and take a trip to Jamaica for the holidays or better yet do the one thing both of you like doing the most perhaps Riding a Harley down the Pacific coast highway, whatever makes both of you happy, A tree with lights may give you some nostalgic memories but it doesn't mean that to everybody so make some memories of your own that you can share and think back on for years to come.
clueful

Return to Making Your Spouse Happy